Menu

Charbonnage du Hasard

Belgium had countless coal mines. Today, there remains a handful. And yet, the few survivors have often seen their distinctive sign disappear (like headframe) or simply their soul being restored a too effectively.
Here, none of that. Even though the place was outrageously vandalized by time and assholes, you can almost relive the lives of miners as the remains are numerous. And almost miraculously present given the state of disrepair of the premises.

The actual exploitation starts in 1907. Before that, the extraction of anthracite (ore very near coal) began in the 16th century and a steam engine installed in 1827. Unfortunately, the galleries are regularly flooded and an accident will be fatal for several miners in 1877. The extraction immediately cease and the site was abandoned.
Surveys are carried out yet in the early 20th century and new anthracite veins are detected at a very great depth.
Despite the narrowness of the site (wedged between the river and a hill), an extraction tower was built in 1907 (mine shaft No. 1). Revolutionary at the time, it is 30 meters high and is equipped with two motors for the movement of cages. She served until 1954 and will then be converted into a ventilation shaft.

A second mine shaft (No. 2) was dug in 1927. Soon became unusable, it will be replaced between 1938 and 1947 in the same place by the mine shaft No. 3, deeper and surmounted by a large concrete tower. Its exploitation will begin only in 1953.
Finally, a fourth mine shaft (Puits Belle Fleur, No. 4) is dug in the cliff and only serves to clear out the sterile (extraction residues with a very low or no coal content).
In addition to extraction site, a coal preparation plant, a river harbor and a goods railway station are constructed in 1920 on the other side of the street (all demolished). Finally, a working-class neighborhood is high in 1930.
At its peak, the Hasard company employed 1,500 workers. At the closure of the site in 1977, there remained only 600.

The particularity of this coal mine is the attention that has been given to the "comfort" of miners and the aesthetics of the buildings (at least for those of 1907). Thus, all miners had their own locker and changing rooms and showers were built in large numbers. As for the buildings, they look more like a neo-Gothic castle as a mining operation.
Tower of mine shaft No. 1 protected since 1980, but the threat of demolition of mine shaft No. 3 and other unprotected buildings still exists.

Charbonnage du Hasard

The coal mine is a maze.

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

If we ignore these fucking tags, the place is very beautiful.

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

Tower of mine shaft No. 1.

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

At the top of mine shaft No. 1.
One of two huge extraction engine.

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

The descent will be a time of pleasure...

Charbonnage du Hasard

Afar, the mine shaft No. 3 (1947).

Charbonnage du Hasard

Stairs everywhere !

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

Lockers of miners.

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

Other cloakroom, located at the top of the neo-Gothic building.

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

Sometimes, elements of the tower crashed in the locker room...

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

Safe's room.

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

Hall of wickets, where the miners were paid.

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

On every nail was hung the badge of miners.

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

Previously, the bridge leading to the coal preparation plant, the river harbor and the goods railway station.

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

Building of the mine shaft No. 3's extraction machine.

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

Smashed control panel.

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

If the engine of mine shaft No. 1 was already impressive, what about that of No. 3.
Unfortunately, it was scrapped.

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

Remains of a rotating plate for mine cart.

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

Many archives.

Charbonnage du Hasard

Pay slip (1952).

Charbonnage du Hasard

Newspaper (1977).

Charbonnage du Hasard

Register (1968).

Charbonnage du Hasard

Daily summary (1924).

Charbonnage du Hasard

Time card.

Charbonnage du Hasard

Register (1975).

Charbonnage du Hasard

 

Charbonnage du Hasard

Bye bye...

13

July 2013

Return